Interpreter/Translator, Colombia, L5
Every year, millions of people around the world go missing as a result of conflict, human rights abuses, disasters, organized crime, irregular migration, and other causes. Be part of a growing international organization that is dedicated to tackling this global challenge.
The International Commission on Missing Persons (ICMP) is a treaty-based international organization with headquarters in The Hague, the Netherlands. Its mandate is to secure the cooperation of governments and others in locating and identifying missing persons. As the only international organization tasked exclusively to work on the issue of missing persons, ICMP maintains field programs throughout the world. To learn more about ICMP click here.
ICMP’s Colombia Program
In the aftermath of half a century of conflict, Colombia faces a legacy of more than 85,000 cases of missing and disappeared persons. The inclusion of this issue in the Final Peace Agreement signed in November 2016 provides an exceptional opportunity to advance in the efforts to account for missing persons and to secure the rights of victims.
ICMP is mandated under the Peace Agreement to assist this process. It has identified the most important challenges and will support the Search Unit, families of the missing, civil society organizations and parties to the Peace Agreement in their efforts towards long-term peace and reconciliation. ICMP will work closely with its international and Colombian partners to make a positive and practical contribution to this process.
To learn more about ICMP click here.
The Position Background
The Interpreter/Translator will support the Colombia Program by providing accurate and timely written and verbal translation from/into Spanish/English and English/Spanish.The duties of the Interpreter/Translator will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Provide interpretation and translation support at meetings (1:1 and group), interviews, telephone calls, workshops, training events, conferences and other events;
- Translate documents orally or in writing including technical documents related to ICMP work and legal texts;
- Proofread documentation in Spanish;
- Oversee the creation of glossary and any other relevant tool or process to ensure the consistent use of Spanish terminology across the Program;
- Prepare written translations of instructional and educational materials, correspondence, and forms;
- Review translated material for accuracy of meaning, grammar and syntax;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Professionally fluent in written and spoken English and Spanish
- At least 6 years of experience providing translation/interpretation services
- Copywriting and editing experience would be considered an asset
- Attention to detail
- Tact, discretion and ability to handle confidential information
- Strong presentation skills and business acumen
Other skills required:
- Computer literacy, including excellent knowledge of Microsoft applications, including Outlook, Word, Excel and Power Point;
- Proven ability to interact positively with colleagues regardless of culture, nationality or gender;
- Willingness to travel and to work flexible hours including weekends and evenings;
- Capacity and willingness to work in sometimes challenging circumstances.
PLEASE NOTE: All applications must be submitted in English.
This is a full-time position with a competitive base salary, generous paid leave and extensive health insurance benefits. Please see ICMP website for relevant salary scales.